Zucchini “Spaghetti” with Eggplant Chicken Sauce
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or grape seed oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 in (1.25 cm) pieces
- 3/4lb (375g) lean ground chicken
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1-26 oz (739mL) jar no salt-added pasta sauce
- 4 medium zucchinis, cut into strands*
- Parmesan, for garnish
- Heat 2 tsp oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add eggplant and cook until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Remove eggplant from heat and set aside, heat remaining oil in pan and add chicken, onion, and garlic. Cook until chicken is not longer pink and onion has softened (about 7 minutes).
- Add bell pepper, chipotle chili, salt, and pepper; cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in pasta sauce, oregano, and eggplant, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Divide zucchini strands among serving plates and top with eggplant sauce, garnish with grated Parmesan if desired.
* Tip: There are a few ways you can create zucchini noodles. Although a vegetable spiralizer is the best option, you can use a serrated vegetable peeler, a regular peeler, or mandolin to create wide ribbons and then slice into thin strands.
1 Serving = 1 fat, 1 protein, free veggies